Bryan County Sheriff
Sheriff Johnny Christian
Sheriff Johnny Christian was elected to Sheriff in 2016 and re-elected in 2020. As a fourth-generation resident of Bryan County, Sheriff Christian has become a legend in Oklahoma law enforcement and brings decades of experience and proven leadership to the Sheriff's Office.
Sheriff Christian served 25 years as an Oklahoma State Trooper and spent the last part of those years assigned to the United States Marshal Service hunting down the most dangerous criminals in America and bringing them to justice. He has won countless awards and the respect of his fellow law enforcement officers for his professionalism and unquestioned integrity.
Since taking on the role as Sheriff, patrol has been extended to 24 hours a day. Sheriff Christian shares, "Using the proper patrol techniques and management, what was said could never happen -- we did," Christian said. "There have been numerous cases that have been resolved that's been after hours when normally we wouldn't have anyone out, we've been able to capture."
Sheriff Johnny Christian is truly dedicated to serving and protecting the citizens of Bryan County. The below history of work ethic, leadership, and outstanding current employees is the prime reason for the success of the Bryan County Sheriff's Office today.
Experience & Awards
Graduated from Durant High School in 1984 and attended Southeastern Oklahoma State University
- Advanced Police Officer Certification September 1997
- Graduate of the Oklahoma Highway Patrol Leadership Academy, August 9, 2005
- Council on Law Enforcement Education and Training Certification-C87B5 October 1987
- Law Enforcement Management One Phase Two, January 1989
- Council of Law Enforcement Education and Training Instructor, October 16, 1992
- Oklahoma Top Quality Management Course November 1993
- Oklahoma Highway Patrol 46th Academy, June 1991
- Oklahoma Highway Patrol Defensive Tactics Instructor, December 1993
- Oklahoma Highway Patrol Firearms Instructor, April 2004
- Oklahoma Highway Patrol Field Training Instructor, July 1998
- Oklahoma Highway Patrol Tactical Team Operator, November 1999
- Oklahoma Highway Patrol Academy TAC Officer for (5) Academy's
- Oklahoma Highway Patrol Tactical Tracker, July 2001
- Oklahoma Highway Patrol Honor Guard, January 1993
- Commander of the Oklahoma Highway Patrol Honor Guard March 1998
- Oklahoma Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs Air Assault School, April 18, 2000
- The Reid Institute Interview and Interrogation School, January 2006
- Graduate of the United States Marshals Fugitive Investigator Academy-November 17,2006
- United States Marshals High Risk Fugitive Investigator, June 2015
- United States Marshals Sex Offender Investigator Course, November 2010
- National Association of Fugitive Investigator Training Conference, Boston Massachusetts 2007
- National Association of Fugitive Investigator Training Conference, Orlando, Florida 2005
- Graduate of the Oklahoma Sheriff's Academy, March 2017
- Member of the Oklahoma Sheriffs Association
- Member of the Western States Sheriffs Association
- Member of the National Sheriffs Association
- Committee Member of the Oklahoma Sheriffs Association Legislative Committee
Commendations / Awards:
- Commendation from United States Marshal John Lloyd of the Eastern District of Oklahoma for the apprehension of a Murder Suspect in Muskogee County.
- Commendation from United States Marshal John Lloyd of the Eastern District of Oklahoma for the apprehension of a Double Murder Suspect in Bryan County.
- Commendation from United States Marshal Pat Wilkerson of the Eastern District of Oklahoma for the Sex Offender Compliance Check in Bryan County
- Physical Fitness Award during the 46th Oklahoma Highway Patrol Academy in 1991 for Outstanding Physical Fitness
- Oklahoma Highway Users Federation Trooper of the Year Award for Humanitarianism-1992, for saving the life of a newborn baby
- Citation for Heroism from the Oklahoma State Legislature, 1993
- Letter of Commendation for ending a dangerous event in Bryan County by ending a high speed pursuit that placed the lives of Durant citizens in Danger, October 2004
- Windsor Hill Baptist Church Heroism Award-2002 for apprehending a Murder Suspect in Bryan County while off duty
- Oklahoma Highway Patrol Chiefs Award-December 2004 for rescuing a lost elderly lady in Atoka County
- Letter of appreciation from Kevin Ward, The Commissioner of Public Safety, February 2007 for the apprehension of (2) Escapees in Tulsa County
- Above and Beyond Award from OCADVSA for the Capture of a Double Murder Suspect in Bryan County 2009
- Red Feather Award from OSBI for the Capture of a Murder Suspect from Haskle County.
- 2nd Oklahoma Highway Patrol Chiefs Award- 2014 for rescuing a drowned victim during a rip tide in Orange Beach Alabama.
- Citation from the Governor, LT Governor, and Legislatures of Oklahoma for years of service to the citizens of this Great State
- • Oklahoma Sheriffs Association Top Shooting Sheriff for 2017, 2018, and 2019 United States Marine
- Basic Training at the United States Marine Corps Recruit Depot in San Diego, California, December 1984
- Field Radio Operators Course, March 1985
United States Army Airborne Course, August 1985 - Field Radio Operator, Forward Observer, and Paratrooper
Commendations / Awards:
- The Navy and Marine Corps Parachutist Medal, (Gold Wings) November 1985
- Meritorious Mast given by the Commanding Officer of 2nd ANGLICO April 1986 for Outstanding Performance of Duty during Operation Alpine Warrior